, , , , , , , , , , , ,

Farewell, Aragog, king of arachnids, whose long and faithful friendship those who knew you won’t forget! Though your body will decay, your spirit lingers on in the quiet, web-spun places of your forest home. May your many-eyed descendants ever flourish and your human friends find solace for the loss they have sustained.Aragog‘s eulogy, delivered by Horace Slughorn

Dumbork passed away last night, 9:30 pm, Philippine Standard Time.

Vet said that there was an allergic reaction, since the puffiness only covered the neck and arms (not the lower limbs). Tried to give her antihistamine but I guess it’s too late. I’m just glad that I was with her for the whole day.

I was able to monitor her — puffiness showed as early as 7:45 am. She was able to bask, from 8 am onwards, but by 3:00pm she showed signs of restlessness, going crazy in the tank, going in circles.

Around 5 pm I removed her from the tank for fear of drowning and placed her in the feeding dish. I coaxed her with some pellet, to no avail, eyes are slowly closing, she’s going in circles, and swinging her head back and forth, up and down as if her neck is itchy.

6:00 pm I changed the water in her tank. She was still in the feeding dish but symptoms increased in magnitude. Restless circling every 5 minutes, and then 5 minutes of being still.

By 7:00 pm I feared for the worst. Contacted the vet, told my sister to prepare herself for the worst case scenario.

8:30 pm got a call from the vet to purchase anti-histamine. Vet initially recommended washing Dumbork with a bar of soap (basic solution to counter the acidic effects of the allergy), but mentioned that if the puffiness showed this morning, allergic reaction may have already reached the organs, specifically the throat area. Thought of going to the vet but he leaves very far.

8:45 pm managed to buy anti-histamine and crushed into powder. Inserted some water in a TB syringe and force fed her. Head is already limp, limbs are weak, eyes glazed and half closed.

For 20 minutes I managed to give her 3 shots of the crushed powder (pinhead size), but she’s not swallowing anymore. Moved her from the feeding container into a clear plastic container with no water. Vet gave advice to try again and pray.

9:15some signs of life, tails tucked in the body, limbs retracted; head came up but only for seconds.

9:25 tried one last time to force feed her. Hands shaking so badly.

9:30 TOD. Limbs limp, eyes not responding. When touched, the water made the limps move. Neck very bloated and puffy.

9:30 – 11:30 pm Vigil with my other sister. Made some arrangement and plans. Placed her in the feeding container with small water. Head was downcast. Limbs in normal position, it was as if she was just sleeping.

I did not have the heart to unplug her filter. The constant gargle and drip of water was soothing in my ears.

Today. Woke up at 5:45, thinking and wishing and hoping that it was just a dream.

Mom removed the water from the plastic container. Covered her with sand. Placed her in a red box with her picture on it.

6:45 finally removed/unplugged her filter. The sudden silence was deafening. Lights were off (UVB and heat). Will have to tackle her tank when I come home from work.

My heart is breaking. I’m at work and trying hard not to cry. 3 years.

Will wait for my sister before burying the body. She will arrive on Thursday. Do you think that’s okay? Will she smell/decompose on her own?

Please pray for her and her safe travel to turtle heaven.

DUMBORK (October 14, 2011 – February 9, 2014). You will truly be missed.

Farewell Dumbork